Japanese Rental Apartments, Houses, and Rooms

About This Web Site


Japanese Apartment and House for Rent

  • Students
  • Working Holiday

The last renewal day|

editorial staff

Japanese Apartment and House for Rent

Japanese Apartment and House for Rent

Welcome to Japan to study abroad, working holiday, or even just work. After you come to Japan, you have to find a room for your Japanese new life.

When you look for a rental room in Japan as a foreigner, you might have some trouble with the unique rules of renting it. Therefore, this article helps you to find your room as introducing the basic knowledge of renting properties, and websites you can search those rooms; all of the information is thoughtfully selected. If you are looking for Japanese apartments or shared houses, please refer to this article.

Recommendable Website to Search Japanese Leasing information


Even though the monthly fee is a little bit expensive, all properties contain furniture and home electric equipment, so you can immediately start to live without Japanese guarantor. If you contract as monthly, you do not need a deposit, gratuity fees, and brokerage charge; you can cut the initial cost. Also, you do not have to contract water, electricity, and gas. Check the "discount for students plan", which is for students. On the official website, not only are there pages in Japanese, but you can also select English, Chinese, and Korean pages from the top right corner. This is the user-friendly sites for foreigners who do not understand Japanese.

Visit Leopalace21 (in Japanese)

Renting a Room as a Foreigner

Renting a Room as a Foreigner

When you contract a room in Japan, you have to pay extra initial fees, such as deposit, gratuity fee, brokerage charge. Therefore, it is better to prepare money about a quadruple or quintuple of the monthly fee though it depends on each property. In addition, you need a co-signed guarantor, who is responsible to pay the fees in case the contractor could not pay for it with some reasons; it is one of the difficulties as searching the room. In other words, you have to find a person who thoroughly trusts you. Even Japanese people avoid to become a co-signed guarantor; generally, only parents or siblings accept it. Of course, you can look for someone who can be a co-signed guarantor, but we recommend to find properties that do not need a co-signed guarantor, or an insurance company bears the role.

Nowadays, the number of those properties (co-signed guarantor is unnecessary or it is possible to sign the insurance company) is increasing because of the increase of foreigners living in Japan.

It is efficient to look for those properties.

TIPSComprehensive Renters Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan

If you are an international student, it is better to use Comprehensive Renters Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan.。The system pays compensation to the co-signed guarantor when he/she receives a demand for guarantee obligation from the renter. The system can be applied if you enter the Japanese university, college, or vocational school; have a state of residence.

Type of Rental Properties

Rental apartment, flat

Japanese civil rental apartments usually do not own furniture. The term of a contract is basically two years. When you stay in Japan for a long time (e.g. enter a Japanese university), we recommend the rental apartments. Conversely, if you stay less than one year, share houses or residences that are leased on a weekly (or monthly) are more reasonable. After you rent an apartment room, you need to pay rental fees, maintenance fees, utility charges (about 10,000 yen), the Internet access fees, and so on. Generally, the rental fees go up on a higher floor. Nowadays, the number of foreign-friendly properties with furniture and household electric appliances are increasing.


  • No time restriction.
  • You can find a room which suits your orders.
  • It is reasonable if you schedule to stay for over 2 years.


  • You have to buy furniture and household electric appliances (if the room does not own them).
  • You need initial extra fees, such as deposit, gratuity fees, and brokerage charges.
Useful Websites for searching Japanese Rental Apartments


This website offers a wide variety of rental properties. For example, it posts a property not requiring a guarantor, with furniture and home appliances, no security deposit, or equipped Wi-Fi. All the processes are completed online with some Leopalace21 managed properties. It is easy to use for people looking for rental properties in Japan.

DOOR chintai (No need of deposit and gratuity fees)

It picks up the rental apartments that do not need to pay deposit and gratuity fees when you contract it. There are a lot of featured articles, which is useful for searching your room; "rental rooms with furniture and home electrical appliance", "rentable rooms without Japanese guarantor", and so on.

Useful Apps for searching Japanese Rental Apartments

You can order to select rental properties and also consult about it via only this app. First, you download it freely and fill out your information. After you enter the desired conditions, your ietty lets you know the information. As using this app, you can quickly reserve to look at the rooms; which is very efficient. Basically, you can ask anything through the ietty chat, even you can negotiate the monthly fees. However, it does not correspond to foreign language so you should be able to understand Japanese; but it is possible to find foreign-friendly properties. The operating time of the chat is from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. (JST). Even if you are not living in Japan but searching Japanese rental rooms, it is possible to use this app. Only one thing is that you should be careful about the minimum monthly fees are set at 50,000 yen (Tokyo is 60,000). It is an easy way to look for rental rooms so if you can understand Japanese, let's utilize it!

Visit ietty (in Japanese)

Share house

Share houses are also called a guest house. It has shared a living room, kitchen, bathroom, and so on, but the contractors have each own room. Share houses are popular within the foreigners because most of them do not request an initial deposit, gratuity fees, brokerage charges, and a co-signed guarantor. There are share houses that require a deposit, but they are cheaper as compared to general rental apartments. The term of the contract is from one month to two years (maximum). As compared to a general rental apartment, share house has higher flexibility so it is convenient for international students, or working holidays. In addition, you can communicate with Japanese people because share houses are recently popularized among them.


  • You can immediately enter the room because they own furniture and electric appliances.
  • The initial cost is low because deposit, gratuity fees, and brokerage charge are unnecessary.
  • Easy to make friends.


  • The common space might be crowded so you cannot use it when you want to.
  • You have to follow the rules of each share house.
Useful Websites for searching Japanese Share House


It has been in business for 20 years and provides more than 5,000 share houses in the Kanto region. A refrigerator, TV, air conditioner, and internet are available for immediate entry. It supports English, Chinese, French, Korean, and so on. It is easy to use even for foreigners who are not good at Japanese.

Apaman Shop

You can easily narrow the information of all the share house in Japan as using free word search with "share house (シェアハウス)" as a keyword. Moreover, it has special features; "no need of co-signed guarantor", "apartment with furniture and electrics rented by the month", and so on.

sharing a room (with roommates)

Sharing a room is that several people live together at a rental property. It sounds similar to share house, but the most different point is that there is no caretaker. Therefore, generally, you live civil rental property with 2~3 people, and the rules are decided by yourself. The roommates are normally your friends at school or co-workers. You can also find via the Internet, but you should be careful. Compared to the share house, it is expected to a better living environment, and you can reduce the cost of rental fees and utility charges.


  • You can cut the cost as sharing the initial fees, rental fees, and utility charges with roommates.
  • You do not have to feel anxiety for a single life in Japan.
  • It is relatively unrestricted because you only have to follow the rules with your roommates.


  • Breaking rules may cause trouble among roommates.
  • If one of the roommates leaves, you have to bear the fees until the next person comes.
Useful Websites for Searching Properties Allows Sharing Rooms

DOOR chintai (Possible to sharing a room)

It picks up properties that allow sharing a room with several people from all over Japan. The number of properties is remarkable. It handles over 40,000 properties in Tokyo area, and also 20,000 properties in Chiba and Kanagawa area. In Osaka, they can introduce over 50,000 properties.

Visit DOOR chintai (in Japanese)

Dormitory, International House (student only)

It is only for students managed by schools. Some universities or colleges cooperate with the civil corporation who alternatively manage the dormitories. In the case of school dormitory, you basically live with your roommate. It is a very low cost, but the room is tiny and you might not be able to enter even though you apply it. International House is a residence for international students managed by the private corporation. It is similar to dormitories but you normally do not have any roommates; it prepares a single room. The cost is more expensive, but the living environment is rather comfortable. Some international houses provide types of furniture, such as a bed and desk. The bathroom is a common space and there is a time restriction. If you want to reduce a residential fee, international houses would be one of the choices.


  • You can immediately enter the room because they own furniture and electric appliances.
  • Very low cost.
  • You can walk to school, which is convenience.


  • There are some rules about closing time and meals.
  • Only room is one for own; the bathroom is the common space.
Useful Websites for Searching Student Apartment, and International House (Student Only)

Suumo (International House)

It collects information about international houses lending low in cost for students. You can ask for a brochure. Also, it compares with student apartments and international houses by the benefits. It introduces the highly recommended properties.

Visit Suumo (in Japanese)

How to find rental properties for foreigners

The following section is the flow of finding rental properties for foreigners in Japan.

Pick up the desired condition

Decide what kind of room you would like to live. Write down the conditions: place, layout, facilities, monthly fee, and so on.

Looking for rental properties

There are two ways of finding rental properties; going to a real estate office and get introduced directly, or using a website to get information and then introduced the properties by the real estate. Rather than going to a real estate office directly, finding your favorite rental properties before meeting the real estate is more efficient. First, you should find properties you would like to live as using those websites. On those websites, you can set the monthly fee, layout, facilities, foreigners-welcomed, no charge of deposit/gratuity, and so on when you look for properties. In addition, you can contact the real estate and get an appointment of private viewing via the internet. If you find a property that you like, you had better contact quickly, otherwise, it might be sold out. If you could not find a suitable room, it is a good way to let a real estate to find a property, which includes similar conditions.

Private viewing

If you find a property you want to live, you must view it because the actual room might be different from the photos. Private viewing is free. If you are not interested in the room after viewing, it is important to refuse the room. Even though a real estate offers you to contract as soon as possible because the room may be sold out, you do not have to contract in case you want to think carefully. Do not forget to check about sunshine, storage, security. In addition, be better to check convenience stores, grocery stores, hospitals, post offices around the room.

Apply to rent a room

After you decide which room you are going to live, let's apply to move into with required documents. Passing through the examination, you are able to contract formally. Before you sign the document, you must confirm the contractual coverage. If you do not understand something, do not be afraid to ask the real estate, especially special provision items.

Prepare to move

After moving day is decided, you should contact the real estate as soon as possible. Before you receive the key, you should check the present status of the room with the real estate. You should take photos of dirties (if they are) for a record in order to prevent some trouble as you leave. You cannot lose the key because you have to give it back when you leave.

After move-in

If the owner/caretaker lives near your room, you should greet them. Utilities (water, electricity, and gas) are not available until you contract. You can use it as soon as you apply them, except gas, which you have to observe the settling. Following chart is about the way of contract each utility.

Electricity Post the "Electricity Use Application" after filling out it with your name, address, and date of start. You can also apply via telephone or internet.
Gas Before you move into your room, you contact the gas company in order to enable to use of gas on the day of move-in. You have to stay in your room while the procedure of gas settling. You should contact the gas company about a week before the date of move-in. You can check which gas company takes charge of your area from "The Japan Gas Association". Apply it via telephone or internet.
Water Post the "Water Use Application" before you move. You can also apply via telephone or the Internet.

Cancellation (leave)

As you decide to leave the place, you have to inform to the real estate or owner by the definite period on the contract (normally 1-2 months before you leave). The cancellation procedure should be done by a week of leave. In order to avoid some trouble, you must be attended with the real estate or the owner on the day you leave. After the cancellation procedure, the deposit will be returned to you. However, if you damage the room or equipment, it deducts from the deposit.

Recommendable Website of Leasing information for Foreigners

Shared Apartment

Shared Apartment offers over 300 properties and 3,500 share houses in Tokyo. The initial cost is only 30,000 yen, and the monthly rent is from 29,800 yen (tax included) with furniture and home appliances. It is the lowest cost in the industry. It does not require any guarantor, security deposit, key money, brokerage fee, key exchange fee as general Japanese rent. It has the advantages of both a share house and an apartment: it has a private room with a key to protect your life. Although you share the kitchen, shower, toilet, and laundry, each room owns a TV, refrigerator, and Wi-Fi. In addition to weekly cleaning services, it freely provides cooking tools, seasonings, and daily necessities.
You can complete all the processes (inquiries, contracts, and moving out) online; no need to call anyone. The renting period is from at least one month so that foreigners of short-term study abroad, working holidays, and short-term stay can easily rent. Besides, the initial cost will be free if you move in again within a year.

Visit Shared Apartment (in Japanese)


Unito is a re-rent service operated by Unito, Inc. The contract period is generally one or two years. You have to keep paying rent during the period even when you vacate a room or go on a business trip. With the re-rent service, you can rent a room as a hotel on days when you do not return, and the rent correspondingly decreases. In other words, you can save the rent with Unito because you do not have to pay when you do not live in the room. There are many reasons not to return, for instance, a long-term business trip, a trip on consecutive holidays, and staying at the partner's house. If you do not return the room over ten days, the rent will be 25,000 yen off per month with a property that discounts 2,500 yen per day. Even if no guest stays in your room, the overnight absence is deductible from the rent.
Unito mainly locates the rooms in central Tokyo's accessible areas: Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Ueno, Shinagawa, etc. It already prepares necessary furniture and home appliances, such as laundry, refrigerators, and beds, so that you can move in immediately. Although you have to pay 50 to 70% of the rent as a deposit, it will be refunded when you move out.
The minimum contract period is one month. Both international students and working holidays can easily make a contract. Also, foreigners who come to Japan can use it as a temporary residence while looking for a room. They currently provide a 14-day voluntary quarantine plan. Therefore, it enables to use as a quarantine place after coming to Japan.

Visit Unito (in Japanese)

Cashback Chintai

Cashback Chintai is a property rental website where you can obtain cashback by contracting with a rental property. After registering as a free member, inquiring about the rental property, making a contract within 60 days, and applying from My Page, you can receive congratulatory money of 5,000 to 100,000 yen. Not only searching for rental properties from stations and areas, but you can also find foreigners-specialized rental properties, such as no guarantor required, no key money/deposit, and furnished/applianced. It is easy to imagine the actual room looks because they post many exterior and interior photos and floor plans. There is also useful information such as rent market prices, rental terms, room search manuals, and contract manuals, so it's a good idea to take a look through them.

Visit Cashback Chintai (in Japanese)

TipsWord Guide of Rentals in Japan

Monthly fees (rent) As you borrow the room, you pay money to the owner monthly. In case you leave/enter at the middle of the month, the payment generally calculated day by day.
Deposit When you contract, you give money approximately double of monthly fee to the owner. The recovery expense for the damage of the room is paid from the deposit. If it remains when you leave, it will be back to you.
Gratuity fees This money represents your appreciation for the owner. It is approximately once or doubles monthly fee, but it is possible to negotiate. Gratuity fees are not returned.
Co-signed Guarantor The person is responsible to pay monthly fees alternatively if you do not pay. Generally, you need guarantor when you apply to enter. It is normally required a Japanese that earns a stable income.
Brokerage Charge This fee is paid to the real estate agent for the service. It is approximately one month's rental fee.
Maintenance fee This fee is to maintain the shared space, such as stairs, elevators. It is normally paid with a monthly fee.
Renewal fee The contract term is normally for two years. If you want to continue to live over the term, you have to pay the fee to the owner.
Property damage insurance This insurance is for disasters, such as fire. Some properties require to enter. It is at about 10,000-20,000 yen.